Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Graham's Gardening

We had a glorious reminder of what spring is the weekend before the storm. The Graham fam took the opportunity to prep the garden for planting. It was beautiful, sunny, 70's. There was much raking and weed pulling and weed-wacking. The Boy was taking full advantage of a wheelbarrow full of tools at his disposal and being very helpful. I had discovered a huge red ant pile in the herb garden and had warned Graham to stay away from it...even though he said he could "just STEP on 'em!!"

Graham said he needed to go pee, so I took him to a big tree and told him to "shoot the tree." Afterwards, he said he needed to wipe his peepee. I told him that he didn't really need to and there was no TP out there anyway and pulled his pants up. "No!" he said as he pulled his pants back down, "I needa yeef!"  He then carefully picked out a tiny, hard, brown leaf from the ground....

I had to walk away and laugh!

A little later, Graham was squatting by the wall of the herb garden, watching the progress of a bug as it crawled along the warm stones. Suddenly, though I was a good 15 feet away, Graham was screaming bloody murder and clawing his way up my legs! Our first thought was that we had gotten into the red ants. It was a few tense yelling and screaming (on everyone's part) moments before I got his boots and pants stripped off because he was squirming so much and not allowing himself to touch the ground.

Nothing. I took him and we sat on the sat on the safety of the four-wheeler and after he calmed down a bit he told me that he was watching a spider and then it jumped on him and bit his head! He showed me were it landed...it was the back of his head...totally out of any spiders jumping range if you are facing it. I am not sure it was a spider anyway.

Two things to remember:
1) Graham, my boy of boys, has a real hard time with bugs. See post of the junebug incident.   
2) Dad was weed-wacking about 10 feet from where Graham was squatting.

My theory: Graham was sitting and watching something creepy up close and suddenly something hits him on the back of the head. Of course he was startled...to say the least. Anyone who has used a weed-wacker knows that it can chuck bits of stuff in quite a wide radius.

Graham wanted to go inside for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment