We celebrated our first married Valentine's Day at the local Provo Italian restaurant of Ottavio's. They have it set up so there are secluded rooms with only half a dozen tables in them. Very rustic. Very romantic. About half-way through our meal, our waiter asked the room in general if anyone would mind if a young man brought his CD player in with him and used it for a short while. Naturally, this peaked everyone's interest and we all agreed it was fine. Lee and I noticed that a couple sitting across the aisle from us was actually done eating and even had their leftovers boxed and waiting, but they had decided to stay! It was a good omen.
The anticipated young man and his date entered and took the table in the corner. He set his boom box in a handy stone niche and they ordered one dessert to share. You will have to forgive me now, I might seem a little harsh in my description of them, but I am trying to create an accurate image in your head.
If I had to hazard a guess at their ages, it might have been as young as high school up to mid twenties. It was hard to tell. He was round and pimply poor guy, and had greased his hair into a hard side part. He was wearing very peg-legged black slacks, a navy blazer, and big white athletic tennis shoes. She was slim and frizzy mousy haired and really rather plain I am sorry to say. She was wearing a long straight blue taffeta dress, one sleeve was a blue star-spangled chiffon and the other sleeve was a blue shimmery something else. Yup, three different fabrics on this dress. Then she had those one shoes, those white chunky square strappy things that we all wore to church when we were little. The first "heals" mom let us get.
Awesomeness. Half-way through their dessert, the guy stands up and presses play on his boom box, then shuffles through the CD till he finds the song he is looking for. It's not a karaoke CD mind you, but he starts singing along...you can too if you like:
they read you cinderella
you hoped it would come true
and one day a prince charming would come rescue you
you like romantic movies
and you never will forget
the way it felt when romeo kissed juliette
and all this time that you've been waiting
you don't have to wait no more
i can love you like that
i would make you my world
move heaven and earth if you were my girl
i would give you my heart
be all that you need
show you you're everything that's precious to me
if you give me a chance, i can love you like that.
Click here for the full lyrics, because you bet he sang along with the whole song! The thing is, he didn't really know ALL the lyrics, and he didn't really stick to ONE voice part. Sometimes he was the main singer and other times he was with the back up singers, and he sang so quietly I had to read his lips to make sure I was really seeing this. As the song faded into echoes, he knelt down and opened and ring box and said a special something even quieter then he had been singing.
(SIDENOTE) What, you ask, has this lucky gal been doing this whole time? Well, she might have been a statue. She was facing him but only looking up at him with her eyes...and the most flat expression I have ever seen.
Lee had his back to this fabulous show and was therefore left to make whatever facial expressions into his plate that he deemed necessary to hide his giggles. I was left to attempt to control my features into something mild and sweet because they were right behind Lee. The couple across from us, the ones who stayed, they were taking pictures.
After the question of posed, the guy grabbed the girl's hand and put the ring on it. I can only assume that he got a smallest affirmative ever...because I missed it. The room burst into applause and several people called "kiss him! kiss him!" The couple across from us stood and offered their card with their email address on the back, saying that they would be happy to send the pictures. The New Couple finished their dessert and left...leaving their boom box.
Once Lee and I finished and got outside, we checked that the coast was clear and then burst out laughing! Our kinder thoughts were along the lines of, "At lease two people like that found each other!"
Here we are obsessing the Ragsdales. We love mexican food.
ReplyDelete