
A little while ago Graham got a serious burn. He was sitting on stool at my parents house watching Bo make breakfast. Bo was melting butter in the pan and had turned around when Dad walked in and took the pan off the burner thinking nobody was paying attentions to it. Graham has gotten burned from touching hot pans before so he knows about that, but he didn't know about not touching hot burners! So quick as a flash he reached out and touched the red hot burner! It's a flat top stove and it immediately blistered up hugely, a full thickness second degree burn. Needless to say it was a rough day for our little guy. My mom ran off and bought some of those little rubberish cooling pads that you bandage over burns...I think it's called second skin? And some Tylenol and Motrin and adhesive wrapping bandages and stuff. Graham sat with his hand in ice-water watching Baby Einstein to distract him for most of the morning but that didn't stop the tears. It was so hard! You would just do anything to take the pain away or feel it for him. (A little bit of how the Savior might feel for us. He loves us so much that he was willing to suffer FOR us.) This picture is of the burn maybe a week later. It's a not very good pic but the blisters were down and I could tell skin was growing underneath.
I changed the bandage everyday for two weeks and then he only wore it at night for a few days to help his new skin toughen up. Here he is 'blowing' on it...
He still uses his left hand about as much as his right but he has certainly learned his lesson. He stays way away if I say it is hot and he won't even sit near the stove whether it's on or not. I just loved the lefty swig though!

On a funnier note, this burning business was a bit of a family affair that week. Just a few days before I had a pretty bad burn. I was cooking those fabulous fresh tortillas you get from Costco (you know, the raw ones) and it had a huge air bubble in the middle. It was done so I grabbed it off the pan and tossed it onto a plat but when I grabbed it the steam poofed out of the side and onto my left pinky finger. It was mostly first degree except for one big blister, but all the way up to my knuckle. Just steam! Then a day after Graham's burn we were making smores and Lee tried to save a falling - burning - marshmallow as it fell from the stick with his hand! "But it was a cinnamon marshmallow!" ah well.
No comments:
Post a Comment