So, I was reminded today of something really funny and I want to add it to our quote wall. First of all there is the issue of these Utah accents....like not putting diphthongs in where they should be or putting them all over where they shouldn't. Then also with non-existent sounds finding their way into simple words. For example, when they say things like "going" they sometimes pronounce the "g"--you know, giving it its proper place...ie, "runnink, thinkink, diggink, etc"
I have done some preliminary research on the accusation leveled at our happy valley and here is what I found:
Unique Pronunciations
1. ain'tcha - "Aren't you?"
2. cha - "You"
3. dcha - "Did you?"
4. djew - "Did you?", (Panguitch version)
5. djeet - "Did you eat?"
6. lawnmore - "lawn mower"
7. leafblore - "leaf blower"
8. melk - "milk"
9. pellow - "pillow"
10. squeet - "Let's go eat"
A Brief Usage Guide for Speaking Overhomer
The Overhomer's Society of Utah has compiled a dictionary of southern Utah terms, listing more than 100 words with the characteristic "vowel dysfunction" they feel identifies rural Utah speech. This list is taken from the Salt Lake Tribune, by Christopher Smith.
1. Arient (Orient) -- "He served a mission in the Arient for two years."
2. Bell (bill) -- "I'll bell ya for the work I done last week."
3. Card (cord) -- "I bought a card of wood for the winter."
4. Dork (dark) -- "It gets dork earlier in the fall."
5. Farward (forward) -- "He plays farward on the basketball team."
6. Gargous (gorgeous) -- "Your yord in St. Jarge looks gargous."
7. Halp (help) -- "Please halp me out of this mess."
8. Jor (jar) -- "I drink my malk from a Mason jor."
9. Lowyer (lawyer) -- "My friend is a lowyer."
10. Mell (mail) -- "Please sart the mell."
11. Oal (oil) -- "Don't squart oal on my garage flaar."
12. Park (pork) -- "The parkchops are good."
13. Quorter (quarter) -- "He ardered a quorterpounder."
14. Rem (rim) -- "We went to the North Rem of the Grand Canyon."
15. Sant (sent) -- "I sant your invitation in the mell."
16. Tarable (terrible) -- "It was a tarable starm."
17. Wor (war) -- "I served in World Wor II."
18. Yallow (yellow) -- "I have a yallow lab dawg."
(http://www.exploreutah.com/newexplore/GettingAround/Utahs_Colloquialisms.shtml)
Also check out http://wesclark.com/ubn/swearing.html for some examples of how we even moderate our swearing!
Then, I was at a homecoming a while ago and the bishop announced that the hymn would be "awl hell to Jesus name." ...which should have been All Hail... weel shoot.
And then another time we were preparing to starting singing "Tis sweet to sing of matchless love" when our neighbor behind us suddenly leaned forward and sang softly "Tis sweet to sing of mattress love..."
We promptly lost it...couldn't sing another note.
Love the 'mattress love' :) Its Kellee I added you onto my blog and wanted to leave you a comment and tell you to add me to yours! Cute, cute baby!
ReplyDeleteOh I miss my Estee! Those pictures of Graham eating the chocolate were delish by the way.
ReplyDeleteESTEE! I didn't know you have a blog! How exciting! I found you on Kellee's blog. I am going to add you to my blog links list, if thats okay. My blog is thebowdenstory.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete