This week I have started reading a chapter of the Book of Mormon to the kids during breakfast. I the past few months, Graham has really developed an affinity to Nephi. He wants to obey like Nephi so bad. He even asked the other day as we were getting in the car, "mom, does Nephi where his seatbelt?" He is always asking to hear stories of Nephi for Family Home Evening, and other times as well. We sing the "Nephi's Courage" probably every day. So I really have him to ask for finally getting myself in gear and starting this family scripture study.
Today we we reading first Nephi 7, when the brothers are returning from Jerusalem with Ishmael and his family. I usually stop after every verse or two to reword and explain what is going on, but how knows how much Eva is internalizing! Anyway, when I got to the part when Lamen and Lemuel are tying Nephi up and leaving him for dead, I paused and asked the kids if LnL where bring nice to their brother and choosing the right. Graham was seriously getting caught up in the story and was visibly angry. "NO!" he answered with his fists and teeth clenched. I paused when I saw him and asked what was wrong. There was a pause and then his face crumpled as he abruptly started crying uncontrolably. He curled forward onto lap with his hands over his face. This sudden outburst of emotion startled us all, William started crying too! I quickly gather Graham onto my lap asking what was wrong! It was several moments before he could respond. "Mom," he said, "when I get old and die I am gonna go up to Heavenly Father and he will heal me. And then I am gonna help Nephi!" he said this fearcly though fighting his trembling lips. "And do you know what I am gonna do to Lamen and Lemuel? I'm gonna put them in jail!" And Eva chimed in, "and I am gonna lock the jail with the key!"
My heart swelled as I said, "Well guess what? Heavenly Father helps Nephi, let's read about it!" As I continued, I could help grinning. When we got to the part where Nephi prays for strength I looked up to see Graham grinning hugely too. "Do you think Heavenly Father answered his prayer?" I asked, my voice shaking. "Yes," he says triumphantly through his tears.
The spirit was so strong, it was a magical moment! I did something right! I thank my Heavenly Father for such sweet children, for the power of the scriptures, and for the teaching moments that we all benefit from!
golden moment!! way to go estee! they're going to be great warriors one day
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome story! I'm sure you do most everything right! Love your guts!
ReplyDelete